Friday, June 20, 2008

This makes me ill (rant alert)

My sister can attest that i am a moderate person. I like tepid food and beverage and it takes a lot to get me riled up. However, this ad campaign makes me physically ill:
http://www.fijigreen.com/index.html
particularly in a city that has some of the best tap water in the world. In fact, it may even be cleaner/better for you than Fiji water (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/health/14real.html).

While I'm the first to admit that I am not a paragon of environmentally friendliness and occasionally buy bottled water when traveling (not from Fiji though), there is NO reason to purchase Fiji water even if they are "carbon negative" and encourage bottle recycling. Putting water in bottles (made from petroleum), and shipping them half way around the world (using even more fuel), is just another example of extremely unnecessary consumption, particularly of fossil fuels. Part of my anger is due to the fact that I just got back from an event held by my father's club to welcome wounded veterans in nyc for the weekend. Most of the guys were younger than me and had lost one or more limbs in Iraq and Afganistan, entirely unnecessary losses related to our addiction to oil. If you believe that we're there solely to liberate the Middle East, I've got a bridge to sell you. We certainly aren't trying to liberate any war-torn African dictatorships that have no resources we need.

Friends who read this blog (all 3 of you), if you purchase Fiji water, I must seriously reconsider our friendship.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Woohoo! Both Dan and I are anti-Fuji water and have been for quite some time!

(On a side note, I saw that ad campaign in a magazine a little while ago -- the "Green" Vanity Fair issue maybe -- and it really outraged me too. A sick example of greenwashing.)